The Department delivers the following services:
Rural Infrastructure Division
- Provides and oversees the development of rural infrastructure in selected agricultural areas of the country and the Staple Crops Processing Zones (SCPZs);
- Handles feeder road, water supply and sanitation, and communication and Jetties for rural development;
- Promotes accessibility (transportation) for rural farming communities;
- Provides safe water and sanitary in rural communities;
- Promotes the development of on-farm structure;
- Promotes the establishment of multipurpose halls;
- Promotes public facilities utilities; and
- Promotes the utilization of alternative source of energy in rural areas.
- The major activities of the Division include:
- Provision of rural roads(surface dressed and earth roads),
- Provision of water for rural cvommunities( mainly boreholes),
- Provision of multi – purpose centers equipped with skill acquisition equipment and facilities,and
- Provision of alternative energy sources such as briquette stoves.
Rural Community Mobilization Division
- Ensures that the rural communities are appropriately mobilized and engaged in all the segments of agricultural value chains
- Promotes off-farm rural livelihood through micro-livestock production such as grass-cutter rearing, silviculture (bee-keeping), mushroom production, rabbitery and
- Promotes Household Nutrition and Hygiene in farming communities.
- Undertakes Rural Community Health Mobilization to prevent contagious infections and and sustain recreational activities and healthy living in rural farming communities.
- Promotes Rural Community Mobilization for Agricultural Development.
- Coordinates the formation and operation of Community Based Rural Development Organizations (CBRDOs).
- Encourages collaboration with Rural Development Agencies/Institutions at National and International levels such as African-Asian Rural Development Organisation (AARDO).
- Promotes synergy between the Department and other relevant Agencies with related mandates.
Non-Farm Employment Division
- Develops rural non-farm and off season income generating activities to mitigate the rural-urban migration,
- Builds rural transformation in agricultural development, technology, craft, arts and other skills to attract investment and aid from individuals, private sectors, Government and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs).
- Undertakes capacity building of rural dwellers on non-farm activities and enterprises.
- Promotes the exhibition of rural crafts, enterprises and technologies adoption and adaption for creation of employment and income generation.
- Facilitates self-employment through Capacity Building and Empowerment in Non-Farm (Technical) Activities on Machine Repairs, Cooling System Maintenance and Tool Fabrication.
- Promote rural farm tools fabrication and maintenance in collaboration with farm-machine fabrication institutes.
- Promotes Community Nurseries for (Fruit) Tree Crops.
- Promotes Local Food Processing with simple Local Machines
Rural Financial Institutions Division
- Facilitates credit mobilization and loans for Income Generating Activities (IGAs/Enterprises) of the Rural Dwellers.
- Ensures and assists in linking of rural farmers with NIRSAL and other related relevant programme e.g. Rural Enterprise Development and Financial Linkage Services ( REDFILS)
- Assists rural dwellers in the preparation of Business plans, feasibility studies and Enterprise development.
- Assists rural dwellers in securing markets for their products and other services.
- Ensures adequate follow-up and supervision of credits utilization and repayment strategies.
- Ensures partnership with relevant institutions and coordination of credits delivery of rural productive activities funded by other donor Agencies.
Policy and Databank Unit
- Formulates, coordinates, reviews, disseminates and implements the activities and programmes of the Department;
- Establishes, Maintains and Manages Rural Sector Data in data collection, collation, analysis and farmer’s registration;
- Handles the planning, budgeting and related issues of Programmes and Projects;
- Provides computerization and information management
- Handles the production, review and evaluation of technical reports;
- Provides the secretariat and arrangement of technical workshops, meetings and seminars on policy issues.
- Handles the survey and compilation of Annual Rural Welfare Statistics (ARWS) and dissimilation of the ARWS.