The Department delivers the following services:
- Formulation policy for the development of cooperatives and integrating into the national development plans and programmes
- Coordination of inter-governmental and inter-state cooperative activities;
- Coordination of research into problems of cooperative development in Nigeria;
- Compilation of information and the coordination of publicity on cooperative matters;
- Coordination of cooperative education and training including relations with appropriate educational institutions;
- Liaison with and representation of cooperatives interest in relevant line MDAs;
- Regulatory duties of registration, supervision, inspection, inquiry, arbitration, amalgamation and dissolution of all national cooperative societies and apexes;
- Coordination of matters relating to all farmer organizations in Nigeria;
- Promotion of effective participation of cooperatives in the primary sectors of the economy such as agriculture, industry, commerce, finance etc. including cooperative activities involving women, youth and the physically challenged groups.
- Supervision of cooperative establishments viz Federal Cooperative Colleges (FCC), National Cooperative Development Centre (NCDC), Sheda, Abuja and Integrated Cooperative Service Centres in the 36 States and FCT.
- register cooperatives societies, farmer’s organization, we cooperators to prepare their Bye Laws. Organizing training workshop to societies