The Department and its various entities deliver the following services:
Soil Fertility Management
- Conduct fertility inventory and monitor the nations land resources base and provide information on soil fertility maintenance for sustainable food and raw material production;
- Provide information on soil fertility maintenance for sustainable food and raw materials production.
- CHECH Produce nutrient status maps.
advisory services to farmers:
- In the management of problem soils, e.g. acid soils, salt-affected soils, vertisols and soils polluted by oil spillage
- Conducting fertility baseline surveys for appropriate fertilizer recommendations.
National Soil Testing & Laboratory Management
- Provide routine analysis of soil, plant and water.
- Provide advisory services on the type and usage for soil and agricultural water.
- Provide information to farmers on application of fertilizers and other farm inputs.
- analytical services for soils, water, plants and fertilizers to stakeholders (farmers, students and institutions) through its Regional Soil Laboratories at Kaduna, Ibadan and Umudike.
Land Use Planning &CCMS Land Use and Conservation Division;
- Provide advisory services on erosion control on agricultural lands;
- Control agricultural land degradation mainly through agronomic methods;
- Rehabilitation and reclamation of degraded lands, drought and desertification control;
- Land use planning and climate resilience services (AF, FMNR, CSA); and
- Water shed delineation ad management.
CHECK advisory services to land users in the following areas:
- Erosion control on agricultural lands
- Conservation agriculture
- Reclamation/Rehabilitation of degraded lands
- Drought and desertification control
- Land use planning
Soil Survey and Land Evaluation
- Provide inventory of the Nation’s Land Resources;
- Estimate the amount of degradation of the soil resources;
- Assess land-use potential of different land units;
- Mapping of the soil resources into capabilities for utilization.
- Detailed soil survey of individual’s agricultural land holdings, community agricultural land and local government areas.
- Capability classification of agricultural land holdings with a view to separating arable land from others (recreation, tourism, grazing, and forestry).
- Suitability assessment of arable land for different crops (e.g. maize, cassava, rice, yams, sorghum), etc.
Integrated Soil and Water Management
- Design and construction of water harvesting structures; and
- Design and construction of conservation structures.
Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing Centre (GIS/RS Centre);
- analyses spatial data (satellite imageries) with a view to producing soil maps, vegetation maps, maps on land degradation and delineating farmlands.
- collate and store data on soils and other environmental elements in easily retrievable forms for the benefit of land users, researchers and students
- training in Geographical information System and Remote Sensing in project management for project management.
- The Federal Colleges of Land Resources Technology (FECOLART) Owerri, Imo State, created under the 4thnational development plan of 1981-1985, but started its academic work in 1991/1992 session, and Kuru – Jos, created in 1968 were established for agricultural middle manpower development. The Colleges provides intermediate manpower training in the following areas:
- Soil Science and Technology (HND)
- Agricultural Technology (ND)
- Agricultural Engineering Technology (ND HND)
- Surveying and Geo informatics (ND)
- Agricultural Extension Management (HND)
· Pre– ND Science and Technology