- The various Divisions/units of the DFRS are saddled with the following services:
- STRATEGIC FOOD RESERVE DIVISION;
- The division is responsible for the construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of all storage structures and equipment design and development of warehouse Storage structures and also, monitoring and management of the Warehouse Receipt System (WRS).
- PRICE STABILISATION DIVISION;
- Stabilizing the prices of food commodities through fixing of Guarantee Minimum Price (GMP) for the mandate crops.
- Harmonization of the cost of production of the mandate crop.
- Advising the local farmers on their future investment.
- Prevention of glut for all mandate crops.
EMERGENCY FOOD SUPPLY & LOGISTICS DIVISION;
- Managing the National Food Reserve and ECOWAS food reserve stocks.
- Releasing of food commodities from the National reserve to meet emergency needs and for cushioning the effect of high food prices.
- Liaising with Food Aid and Emergency Agencies such as World Food Programme (WFP), National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and Red Cross to mobilize resources for providing Food Aid in time of emergencies.
SCHOOL FEEDING DIVISION;
- The Federal Government intends to actively participate in the school feeding programme. The Department will collaborate with States and Federal Agencies as well as International donors in the implementation of this programme by ensuring the provision of adequate and nutritional food.
NUTRITION AND FOOD ACCESS;
The division assist in formulating policies that will ensure access to nutritious and health food by larger percentage of Nigerians. This is done through inter agency advocacy and training of farmers and other low income groups on need for consumption of nutritious and balanced diet that is adequate and safe at all times.