About Federal Department of Agriculture (FDA)
The mandate of the Department is as follows:
- Policies formulation for the development of the Crops Sub-sector
- Provide advice on matters affecting agricultural development in the country.
- Identifying, designing and implementing programmes and projects in collaboration with the states and LGAs.
- Promoting and strengthening the value chains for Trees, Arable and Horticultural crops.
- Promoting the use of Agricultural technology in line with the best practices to advance agricultural development
- Promoting agricultural Mechanization, Farm Power utilization and small scale effective water utilization (irrigation) in agricultural practices.
- Developing and promoting improved Storage handling, Agro-Processing and other Technologies for Post-Harvest food Loss prevention.
- Promoting Home Economics, Nutrition, Gender mainstreaming and women related programmes in Agriculture.
The Department is structured into the following:
- Oil Seeds, Legumes & Fiber Crops: Sesame/Acha, Groundnut, Soyabean, Cotton
- Root & Tuber Crops: Cassava, Sweet & Irish Potato Potatoes, Ginger
- Tree Crops: Cocoa, Oil Palm, Rubber, Cashew, Shea, Gum Arabic
- Cereals & Field Crop: Rice, Wheat, Maize, Sugarcane, Millet, Sorghum
- Engineering And Mechanisation
- Nutrition, Crop Protection & Food Safety
- Horticulture: Fruits & Vegetables
- Irrigation Agriculture & Cottage Development
FDA operates with Eight divisions and A Value Chain approach which crosses divisions and departments;